The cost of home comfort is directly impacted by energy efficiently. To achieve cost-effective home comfort throughout the year, Celestial Air’s team has assembled our top nine tips to improve HVAC energy efficiency.
- Use ceiling fans to improve airflow. Running your fan counter-clockwise creates a cool downdraft of air in the summer. During wintertime, run the fan in reverse to distribute warm air that accumulates at the ceiling more evenly throughout the room.
- Open up your window coverings during wintertime on a sunny day to bring radiant warmth into your rooms. Alternatively, keep those window coverings closed during hot summer days to block the sun’s heat and save your air conditioning system from working too hard.
- Make small, slow changes in your thermostat temperature to save money. In the summer, increase the thermostat by one degree and in winter, lower it by one degree. You may find that the temperature adjustment doesn’t affect your comfort at all and will save you energy dollars.
- When you change your air filters more often, you improve air flow, decrease strain on your HVAC equipment and help improve air quality inside your home. Changing air filters monthly will help you maximize these benefits.
- Using your appliances, especially ones that produce excess heat such as dryers and ovens, during the cooler parts of the day will help reduce the load on your HVAC system.
- A programmable thermostat will allow you to reduce energy consumption when no one is at home.
- Routine maintenance and pre-season service will help you achieve HVAC efficiency and avoid system failure on the hottest and coldest days of the year.
- If your home is poorly insulated, you lose HVAC efficiency due to thermal transfer. Why pay to heat or cool the outside? By improving your home insulation you will save energy dollars and reduce system strain.
- Improve efficiency of your outdoor equipment by keeping debris and plants away from your air conditioning condensers.
Do you have questions about improving your home’s energy efficiency? Don’t hesitate to call us for straight answers that can help you save energy dollars.